One of the best views of the Langdale Pikes is from the miniature lake called 'Blea Tarn' just above Great Langdale. Once described as the 'cottage of the solitary lonely, on classic ground' by M. J. B. Baddeley, William has used a very fluid watercolour technique in this ethereal painting, masterly in its precision and economy of handling, with the Pikes forming like an icy cathedral in the background and the reflections in the tarn so reminiscent of Chinese painting, which he greatly admired.
"There, sometimes does a leaping fish
Send through the tarn a lonely cheer;
The crags repeat the raven's croak
In symphony austere:
Thither the rainbow comes, the cloud,
And mists that spread the flying shroud,
And sunbeams, and the sounding blast"
(W. Wordsworth - Tarns (1810) in: Prose of Lakeland - B. L. Thompson, p70)
Inner Picture Sizes:
- Canvas - 765 x 535mm / 30.1 x 21 inches (Inner Painting: 725mm x 496mm / 28.5 x 19.5 inches).
- Framed - 595 x 480mm / 23.4 x 18.9 inches (Inner Painting: 425 x 307mm / 16.7 x 12 inches).
- Framed - 460 x 373mm / 18.1 x 14.7 inches (Inner Painting: 317 x 210mm / 12.5 x 8.3 inches).
- Framed - 309 x 256mm / 12.2 x 10 inches inches (Inner Painting: 173 x 116mm / 6.8 x 4.6 inches).
- Mounted - 571 x 457mm / 22.5 x 18 (Inner Painting: 425 x 307mm / 16.7 x 12 inches).
- Mounted - 433 x 342mm / 17.4 x 13.6 inches (Inner Painting: 317 x 210mm / 12.5 x 8.3 inches).
- Mounted - 286 x 236mm / 11.3 x 9.3 inches (Inner Painting: 173 x 116mm / 6.8 x 4.6 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.