William painted this moody and dramatic scene on very smooth hot-pressed paper, which was unusual for him as he normally preferred the texture of rougher paper to work against. However, in this painting where delicate gradations of colour and tone are important, especially in the eerie sky, it seems just right.
"Scafell Pike and Scafell itself, the monarchs of English mountains, have so much rugged grandeur - it is such a perfect example of the wildest workings of nature-it is doubtful whether the British Isles contain anything more majestically wild"
(M. J. B. Baddeley - English Lake District, p183)
Inner Picture Sizes:
- Canvas - 767 x 545mm / 30.2 x 21.5 inches (Inner Painting: 725mm x 503mm / 28.5 x 19.8 inches).
- Framed - 600 x 487mm / 23.6 x 19.2 inches (Inner Painting: 425 x 306mm / 16.7 x 12 inches).
- Framed - 308 x 259mm / 12.1 x 10.2 inches (Inner Painting: 170 x 106mm / 6.7 x 4.2 inches).
- Mounted - 572 x 457mm / 22.5 x 18 inches (Inner Painting: 425 x 306mm / 16.7 x 12 inches).
- Mounted - 285 x 235mm / 11.2 x 9.3 inches (Inner Painting: 170 x 115mm / 6.7 x 4.5 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.