This painting took five years to complete from first seeing the subject in the early 1950's, it began life as a detailed drawing, before the familiar view of Helm Crag towering above the lake was seen again in similar conditions, whereby a colour study was produced whilst there was still enough light in the sky to work and see by. The exquisite finished version was concluded in the studio, working from these earlier studies.
"The first time that I saw this as a subject to be painted was on a summer evening as I was walking along the western shore of Grasmere Lake without any thought of painting and without any materials" (WHC - Lakeland Portraits, pg 92)
Inner Picture Sizes:
- Canvas - 767 x 569mm / 30.2 x 20.5 inches (Inner Painting: 725mm x 530mm / 28.5 x 20.9 inches).
- Framed - 600 x 487mm / 23.6 x 19.2 inches (Inner Painting: 425 x 306mm / 16.7 x 12 inches).
- Framed - 380 x 322mm / 15 x 13.1 inches (Inner Painting: 244 x 182mm / 9.6 x 7.2 inches).
- Framed - 308 x 259mm / 12.1 x 10.2 inches (Inner Painting: 170 x 115mm / 6.7 x 4.3 inches).
- Mounted - 572 x 457mm / 22.5 x 18 inches (Inner Painting: 425 x 306mm / 16.7 x 12 inches).
- Mounted - 357 x 299mm / 14 x 11.8 inches (Inner Painting: 244 x 182mm / 9.6 x 7.2 inches).
- Mounted - 285 x 235mm / 11.2 x 9.3 inches (Inner Painting: 170 x 115mm / 6.7 x 4.5 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.